Ta da! Stardust Melodies blanket

I have finished something! I am abnormally pleased by this, because it means my WIP list is smaller. And also, because I’m quite worn down at the moment, the ‘finished’ buzz is more rewarding than usual. I can’t do x/y/z at the moment but look, I can finish a project!

Two, in fact, as you’ll see.

The first is Polly Plum’s Stardust Melodies. This was run as a CAL last year, but I was too busy then to pick up a CAL, so I’ve done it this year instead 😀 it’s a mixture of paid and free patterns, twenty-four squares in all, and I’ve made one of each square.

Isn’t it pretty? It’s a lovely, delicate-looking cot blanket, 45×30 inches in size.

I used Stylecraft Bambino DK, which is a recent addition to their range of yarns, and I have to admit I’ve completely fallen in love with it. It’s a very soft acrylic, in sort of muted pastel shades, and I used all eight in my blanket. So soft. Did I mention how soft it is? It just slips through your fingers, it’s so lovely to work with. My one proviso with this yarn is that I found I couldn’t work it up with a 4.5mm hook, as I would normally with a DK yarn – it just came out too small, and the fabric of the squares was too dense and stiff. But with a larger hook it was fine.

The square patterns are simply gorgeous, well-written and easy to follow, and with a 5.0 mm hook, each square ended up about 6.5″ across. I used the moss stitch border, because I wasn’t sure if I’d have enough yarn left to do the alternative border wide enough to have an impact, but I was able to use every colour in the border, which really brings it all together. For details of what colours I used on what square, you can see my Ravelry project page.

I used most of a ball of each colour, but inevitably I had some leftovers. And you know what I’m like; I can’t throw anything away. I also seem to be having a bit of a ‘use up yarn’ year, as in I keep thinking of/starting projects that will use up some of the stuff I’ve got hanging around. Which is a good thing! I was definitely running out of storage space. But in the spirit of ‘don’t leave any small bits hanging around’, I made this:

This is Layla Bunny, a free pattern from B.Hooked Crochet. I made a few slight adjustments because of using a DK yarn for a pattern that uses aran (ie, I wanted a bigger bunny than I would end up with if I’d followed the pattern), and details of that are on my Ravelry project page. And I made a pompom for a tail, which was a lovely way to spend yesterday afternoon 😀 I think it’s adorable, and I used almost every colour in it (I think white was the only one I didn’t use).

I’ve still been left with a few little bits, but not enough to worry over. They’re in a tin with the yarn pegs I’ve made for the Bambino yarn, and a use for them will come up at some point, I’m sure!

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Ta da! Stardust Melodies blanket

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s